Our Lady Immaculate Church
Our Lady Immaculate Church (formerly the Church of the Immaculate Conception) was founded in 1845, opened in 1847 and designed by Joseph John Scoles. It is situated on New London Road, next to Our Lady Immaculate Primary School, close to the junction with Anchor Street, in the city centre.
In 1840, the site for the church was bought. It was purchased from Charles King, the father of the first mission priest to the area. In 1845, the mission to Catholic population in Chelmsford was founded.
In October 1847, the church was opened by the then Vicar Apostolic of the London District, Nicholas Wiseman who in 1850 became Archbishop of Westminster and a Cardinal.
Our Lady Immaculate is a stone-built Early English Gothic design. The building has been altered and its interior twice re-ordered.
Today it continues to be a thriving city centre Parish which serves the local community and those visiting the area.
Visiting Our Lady Immaculate Church
It is in the Church that Christ fulfills and reveals his own mystery as the purpose of God's plan: to unite all things in him.
The church is open daily to the public.
There is very limited car parking available behind the church for visitors to the church.
Additional parking on Sundays is available on New London Road, please do check parking regulations on the day as they are subject to change.
A public carpark is available nearby operated by the local council.